Children, Separation and Divorce

Arrangements For Your Children if you are going through a Separation or Divorce

You have three options for a formal agreement to cover arrangements for your children:

  1. A Parenting Plan which is a formal agreement between you and your estranged partner.
  2. Consent Orders which are Orders of the Family Court.
  3. A decision made by a Judge or Federal Magistrate.

If you cannot come to an agreement through a Parenting Plan or Consent Order, you may need to file Court proceedings. Before you can file Court Proceedings, you must participate in Pre-Action Procedures.

children separation divorce lawyers melbourne

Court Proceedings

Family Report

In the event that Court proceedings are required, a Family Report will be ordered. The report will be completed by a Family Consultant from the Family Court or a private Psychologist. If a Family Consultant is used, parties won't need to pay for the cost of the report. If a private Psychologist is used, parties will share the cost of the Family Report.

The recommendations of the Family Report writer are held in high regard by the Family Court, but the Judge is obliged to follow the recommendations of the Family Report writer. He/ she will consider the report as part of the evidence. If you dispute the recommendations of the Family Report writer or wish to clarify aspects of their recommendations, they may be called to give evidence at Court.

children separation divorce lawyer MelbourneCost aside, there are advantages and disadvantages to having a Family Consultant or Family Report writer appointed. Please discuss these options with a member of our team.

Independent Children’s Lawyer

In complicated cases, an Independent Children’s Lawyer may be appointed to represent the children. The ICL will meet with the children and discuss their concerns and wishes. The ICL will provide the Court with a legal opinion about the best interests of the children.

Children are not allowed in the Family Court so the ICL can be used to convey the wishes of children to the Court.

Further information about the Court process can be provided to you by your Lawyer upon request.

Ready to find out more?

Call us today on (03) 9629 9629 to speak to an Accredited Specialist in Family Law.


Talk to the Legal Experts Now

Lewis Holdway Lawyers

+613 9629 9629

Fax: +613 9629 9630

Level 2, 91 William Street, Melbourne, 3000

P.O. Box 138, Collins Street West, Victoria 8007

DX Mail: DX 650 Melbourne

UPDATE | COVID-19 and Parenting Orders

We understand from our conversation with clients, that many parents have concerns about the safety of their children in this unprecedented time in the world dealing with the COVID-19 virus and their ability to comply with their current Orders and how the Court may view the current situation. These issues include but are not limited…

Australian Consumer Law Review

Dance like no one’s watching…. But text like a Judge will read it!

We’ve all heard the caution ‘anything you say or do may be used against you in the Court of Law’, but what most people don’t realise is that this warning also extends to text messages and emails! In the era of smartphones, text messages, emails, WhatsApp and Facebook, communication apps have become a helpful form…

Domestic Violence: 4 simple strategies to protect your family in a relationship breakdown

Unfortunately, statistics tell us that one woman in Australia dies each week at the hands of her abusive partner or ex-partner. In the past couple of days Australians have responded in horror to the family of five in Queensland suspected to have died in a murder/suicide involving a broken relationship in a very public and…

Intervention Orders: Common Traps

Intervention Orders: Common Traps

Intervention Orders are quite common in high-conflict situations like relationship breakdowns, and so they are something we deal with frequently in our family law practice. Despite how often they come up, people often misunderstand how they work. This is a real problem because there are serious, criminal consequences for breaches of Intervention Orders. Some of…