Financial & Property Settlement Lawyers Melbourne

Financial/Property Settlement

What is a property settlement?

A property settlement occurs when a couple agree to a split of the assets and liabilities of a relationship or a Court orders the split of assets and liabilities of a relationship.

What is the process for a property settlement? 

  • Identify and value the property, assets, financial resources and liabilities of each person as at the date of the hearing;
  • Identify relevant contributions of the parties;
  • Identify the future needs of each person in the relationship. This includes health needs and obligations to care for children (if any) in the future;
  • Adjust the property, assets and liabilities of the parties to achieve a just and equitable outcome.

What factors influence a property settlement?

A property settlement is influenced by the following factors:

  • What assets and liabilities each person had at the commencement of the relationship;
  • Financial contributions of each person during the relationship;
  • Any particular gifts or special abilities that each person has to earn money;
  • The "homemaker" contribution of either party ie: the domestic duties that each person has completed;
  • Whether there are any children from the marriage;
  • If there are children, who was responsible for the majority of their general upbringing during the relationship;
  • If there are children, who the children live with following the end of the relationship;
  • Any financial contribution from either party, following the dissolution of the relationship;
  • Various other factors found in section 75(2) of the Family Law Act 1975.

Property Settlement Options

The most common ways to resolve a Family Law situation are:

  • Binding Financial Agreement:
    This is a private agreement between partners/spouses that is legally binding.  It is not filed at a Court.  Both people are required to obtain independent legal advice before signing a Binding Financial Agreement and have a Lawyer sign a document stating that they have provided them with advice.
  • Consent Orders:
    These are Orders that represent an agreement between the partners/spouses. Consent Orders are filed in the Family Court.  It is not necessary for both people to obtain independent legal advice before signing Consent Orders however it is advisable for this to occur.
  • A decision from a Judge.  To obtain a decision from a Judge, court proceedings need to be filed.  At all times during the court proceedings, people can settle their case by Consent.

In most situations, it is in the best interests of both of the partners/spouses if it can be resolved outside of court.  Taking a matter to trial can be a lengthy and costly process.  We can provide you with further information about whether this can be achieved in your individual settlement lawyers melbourne


To determine the value of the asset pool, each person needs to obtain valuations of their financial interest.  This may be a valuation of a house, rental property, business or superannuation policy.  There will be costs of engaging experts to complete these services.  It is common practice that parties equally share the costs of these valuations.

Financial & Property Settlement Lawyers, Melbourne

Ready to find out more?

Call us today to arrange an appointment to discuss your property settlement on (03) 9629 9629.

Financial & Property Settlement

Talk to the Legal Experts Now

Lewis Holdway Lawyers

+613 9629 9629

Fax: +613 9629 9630

Level 2, 91 William Street, Melbourne, 3000

P.O. Box 138, Collins Street West, Victoria 8007

DX Mail: DX 650 Melbourne

Trusts – Are your assets really protected?

Trusts – Are your assets really protected?

Lots of families have Discretionary Trusts (often simply known as “the family trust”) which they run their business through, or which hold investments for them. They are often intended to assist in protecting assets from civil liability or to allow for tax planning. Another objective which people sometimes have is to limit their exposure to…

Family Law Q&A – Financial Settlements – Part 4

Episode 4: Financial Settlements If you go through a process of separation or divorce, do you have to have a financial settlement? You don’t have to have a financial settlement, however you leave yourself at risk of a claim in the future by your spouse or partner if you do not, particularly if you don’t…

Are you who you say you are? – New Verification of Identity Requirements

By Amy Nhan Identity theft is not a new phenomenon but with more and more transactions taking place online or over the telephone, obligations to prevent money laundering and scam purchases or sales have also increased. If you have ever applied for a home loan or a travel visa, you would be familiar with the…

Important Changes to Laws Governing Conveyancing

New changes to the Sale of Land Act 1962 (Vic) came into effect on 1 October 2014. Some of the changes that will affect the sale of property include: Vendors need only disclose mortgages that will pass to the purchaser; An owners corporation certificate does not need to be ordered if the owner of the…

Separation, Divorce, Finance, Children Family Lawyers Melbourne

Misconceptions surrounding Family Law

After the end of a relationship, many couples struggle to deal with their future, their finances, and their new-found single status. There are many misconceptions surrounding separation and particularly property settlements such as: 1.  You have to be divorced first 2.  If I get the kids I get most of the assets 3.  I get…

lewis holdway accredited specialist

Why choose Lewis Holdway Lawyers?

Choosing a lawyer, especially if you’ve never used one before, can be confusing. There are so many lawyers – how do you know who you can trust, whether they know what they’re talking about, or have the experience in handling difficult legal issues that you require? That’s why it makes sense to choose a family…