Separating? What To Do Now.

What To Do When Separating

There's a lot to think about if you are considering separation, or are in the process of separating from your partner/spouse. This list will help you get started.

Property and Finance

  • Contact your bank to determine whether you have a line of credit or redraw facility on any loan. In the event that you do have funds available through a line of credit or redraw facility, you should freeze these accounts immediately to prevent your ex-partner removing all of the excess funds from your account.
  • Contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to notify them of your separation and have your ex-partner removed as a person who may access your tax records. Separation | Family Lawyers Melbourne | Your Family Lawyers
  • Contact your superannuation fund(s) and have your ex-partner removed as a beneficiary under the binding and non-binding death nomination for your fund(s).
  • Compile financial documentation for your Family Lawyers, click here to download a form you can you to collect your Income and Expenditure Information.
  • Provide financial documentation to Lewis Holdway Lawyers.

Child Support

  • Apply for Child Support through the Child Support Agency. Forms can be downloaded at This web site contains a calculator to obtain an estimate valuation of your likely child support payment in the event you are receiving a payment. In almost every case the most cost effective method of obtaining child support is by obtaining an assessment through the Child Support Agency.
  • In the event that you will be required to pay child support, you can access the calculator on the child support agency website at to determine the likely payment that you will receive.

Spousal Maintenance Applications


  • Keep a diary of your interactions with your partner including times that you spend with your children, telephone contact, and any concerns that you have with the other party. This can potentially provide vital information in the event that we need to file court proceedings.


  • Provide a copy of your marriage certificate to our Family Law team.
  • Provide a copy of your Divorce certificate (if you have one already).
  • Provide a copy of your children’s birth certificate to our Family Law team.

Review your Will

It is common for people to want to make or change their Will following a separation. As spouses or partners are usually the main beneficiary, that may be something you wish to change. If you don't have a Will, are still married but are separated, you may want to create a Will that leaves your assets to your children rather than defaulting to your ex-partner.

We have a sister company, Legal Essentials, who can help you with your Will and Estate Planning. They can even meet with you at the same time as your lawyer at our offices in the city. Please see Legal Essentials for more details.

Separation Lawyers Melbourne

  • Call us to arrange an appointment to go through your situation.
  • Return your signed Client Agreement to our Family Law team to start the ball rolling.


Talk to the Legal Experts Now

Lewis Holdway Lawyers

+613 9629 9629

Fax: +613 9629 9630

Level 2, 91 William Street, Melbourne, 3000

P.O. Box 138, Collins Street West, Victoria 8007

DX Mail: DX 650 Melbourne

Australian Consumer Law Review

Dance like no one’s watching…. But text like a Judge will read it!

We’ve all heard the caution ‘anything you say or do may be used against you in the Court of Law’, but what most people don’t realise is that this warning also extends to text messages and emails! In the era of smartphones, text messages, emails, WhatsApp and Facebook, communication apps have become a helpful form…

Domestic Violence: 4 simple strategies to protect your family in a relationship breakdown

Unfortunately, statistics tell us that one woman in Australia dies each week at the hands of her abusive partner or ex-partner. In the past couple of days Australians have responded in horror to the family of five in Queensland suspected to have died in a murder/suicide involving a broken relationship in a very public and…

Intervention Orders: Common Traps

Intervention Orders: Common Traps

Intervention Orders are quite common in high-conflict situations like relationship breakdowns, and so they are something we deal with frequently in our family law practice. Despite how often they come up, people often misunderstand how they work. This is a real problem because there are serious, criminal consequences for breaches of Intervention Orders. Some of…

Parenting and Separation: How to avoid the Nightmare Before Christmas

Parenting and Separation: How to avoid the Nightmare Before Christmas

The festive season can be a wonderfully exciting time for families, but it can also be an overwhelming and stressful time, especially when a family is going through a separation. Uncertainty and confusion about arrangements for what time the children will spend with each parent over Christmas is very common and can be one of…