Separating? What To Do Now.

What To Do When Separating

There's a lot to think about if you are considering separation, or are in the process of separating from your partner/spouse. This list will help you get started.

Property and Finance

  • Contact your bank to determine whether you have a line of credit or redraw facility on any loan. In the event that you do have funds available through a line of credit or redraw facility, you should freeze these accounts immediately to prevent your ex-partner removing all of the excess funds from your account.
  • Contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to notify them of your separation and have your ex-partner removed as a person who may access your tax records. Separation | Family Lawyers Melbourne | Your Family Lawyers
  • Contact your superannuation fund(s) and have your ex-partner removed as a beneficiary under the binding and non-binding death nomination for your fund(s).
  • Compile financial documentation for your Family Lawyers, click here to download a form you can you to collect your Income and Expenditure Information.
  • Provide financial documentation to Lewis Holdway Lawyers.

Child Support

  • Apply for Child Support through the Child Support Agency. Forms can be downloaded at This web site contains a calculator to obtain an estimate valuation of your likely child support payment in the event you are receiving a payment. In almost every case the most cost effective method of obtaining child support is by obtaining an assessment through the Child Support Agency.
  • In the event that you will be required to pay child support, you can access the calculator on the child support agency website at to determine the likely payment that you will receive.

Spousal Maintenance Applications


  • Keep a diary of your interactions with your partner including times that you spend with your children, telephone contact, and any concerns that you have with the other party. This can potentially provide vital information in the event that we need to file court proceedings.


  • Provide a copy of your marriage certificate to our Family Law team.
  • Provide a copy of your Divorce certificate (if you have one already).
  • Provide a copy of your children’s birth certificate to our Family Law team.

Review your Will

It is common for people to want to make or change their Will following a separation. As spouses or partners are usually the main beneficiary, that may be something you wish to change. If you don't have a Will, are still married but are separated, you may want to create a Will that leaves your assets to your children rather than defaulting to your ex-partner.

We have a sister company, Legal Essentials, who can help you with your Will and Estate Planning. They can even meet with you at the same time as your lawyer at our offices in the city. Please see Legal Essentials for more details.

Separation Lawyers Melbourne

  • Call us to arrange an appointment to go through your situation.
  • Return your signed Client Agreement to our Family Law team to start the ball rolling.


Talk to the Legal Experts Now

Lewis Holdway Lawyers

+613 9629 9629

Fax: +613 9629 9630

Level 2, 91 William Street, Melbourne, 3000

P.O. Box 138, Collins Street West, Victoria 8007

DX Mail: DX 650 Melbourne

lewis holdway accredited specialist

Why choose Lewis Holdway Lawyers?

Choosing a lawyer, especially if you’ve never used one before, can be confusing. There are so many lawyers – how do you know who you can trust, whether they know what they’re talking about, or have the experience in handling difficult legal issues that you require? That’s why it makes sense to choose a family…

communicate ex partner family lawyer melbourne

How do I communicate with my Ex-Partner?

So the time has unfortunately come, you have separated from your partner and you are trying to work out what happens with the children. The best advice that we can provide to you is to try to keep communication open with your ex-partner when it comes to the children. Even though your relationship has ended…